Neuroprose

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 18 11:48:22 EDT 1991

***Do not forward to other bboards***

As many of you are aware by now, the cis facility at OSU has been
unstable the last week of August and first week of September. One of
the changes which occured in the spring was that the cheops pyramid
computer was replaced with an alias to a new sun server called:

archive.cis.ohio-state.edu  128.146.8.52  (Cheops was ..62)

One of the changes which recently happened is that the alias mechanism
has become unreliable, so transparent access through the "cheops" name
has repeatedly failed for people.

Please change your Getps and neuroprose scripts accordingly.

Also, I'd like to remind the LIST that Neuroprose is a convenience
mechanism for the low-cost distribution of preprints and reprints to
the MAILING LIST. Neuroprose is NOT a vanity press -- placing a report
or book in neuroprose does not constitute publication.  Many of the
papers in neuroprose are reprints of journal articles and book
chapters, THEREFORE NEUROPROSE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE.

While I can appreciate some people wanting to share their results with
the highest possible readership, the forwarding of FTP announcements
to neuron-digest and/or comp.ai.neural networks will eventually cause
major legal problems for somebody. So, when you announce a paper,
please include "**do not forward**"'s in the message.

Finally, please halt suggestions that the papers be copied all over
the world, distributed on floppy disk, or accessed through various
public servers.

"Don't call me Kinko's" Pollack           Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210                        Phone: (614)292-4890 (then * to fax)

***Do not forward to other ML's or Newsgroups***