whoops

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at ai.toronto.edu
Tue Sep 10 18:04:27 EDT 1991

I said that K nearest neighbors does well at generalizing parity from a
randomly sampled training set when K is small and even.  This was a mistake.
What I meant was that K nearest neighbors does well when K is set so that
the modal hamming distance to the K nearest neighbors is small and even.

For example, if the training set contains a fraction, p, of all possible input
vectors of length n, then if we set K to be:

np + n(n-1)p/2

we can expect about np neighbors one bit away and about n(n-1)p/2 neighbors
two bits away.  If n is not very small, there will be far more neighbors two
bits away than one bit away, so generalization will be correct.  The use of a
validation set to fix K should therefore give good generalization for n not
too small.

Geoff