connectionist navigation

Bernd Rosauer rosauer at ira.uka.de
Mon Sep 2 11:23:05 EDT 1991

Inspired by the recent summary on chemotaxis by Shawn Lockery I think
it would be interesting -- at least to some people -- to compile a
bibliography on connectionist approaches to locomotion and navigation.
Since I started collecting references on that topic some time ago I
will take on the job.

The bibliography should include references to work on modeling spatial
orientation, cognitive mapping, piloting, and navigation; alife
simulations of animat navigation and applications of neural networks to
mobile robot obstacle avoidance and path planning.  Further suggestions
are welcome.

In order to bound my own efforts in surveying the references I would
like to encourage (a) those people who know that I have some references
to their work to send me a complete list, and (b) even to send me older
references you are aware of.  Although I do not promise to finish the
bibliography this month I expect that it could be done this year.

So feel free to send me your references.  (I know that similar requests
have come up in several mailing lists and news groups now and then but
I for myself have never seen a summary, even on direct request.)

Thanks in advance,

Bernd Rosauer
Research Center of Computer Science
at the University of Karlsruhe, FRG