reprint announcement

Patrick van der Smagt smagt at fwi.uva.nl
Wed Oct 2 04:28:55 EDT 1991

I mentioned a paper some time ago about neural robotics control.
Popular demand made me decide to make it available by anonymous ftp
from neuroprose.
The following reprint is available by ftp from the neuroprose
archive at archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:

        A real-time learning neural robot controller

                P. Patrick van der Smagt
                    Ben J. A. Kr\"ose

             Department of Computer Systems
                University of Amsterdam
                Kruislaan 403, 1098 SJ
               Amsterdam, The Netherlands

                        ABSTRACT

A neurally based adaptive controller for a 6 degrees of freedom
(DOF) robot manipulator with only rotary joints and a hand-held
camera is described.  The task of the system is to place the
manipulator directly above an object that is observed by the
camera (i.e., 2D hand-eye coordination).  The requirement of
adaptivity results in a system which does not make use of any
inverse kinematics formulas or other detailed knowledge of the
plant; instead, it should be self-supervising and adapt on-line.

The proposed neural system will directly translate the
preprocessed sensory data to joint displacements.  It controls
the plant in a feedback loop.  The robot arm may make a sequence
of moves before the target is reached, when in the meantime the
network learns from experience.  The network is shown to adapt
quickly (in only tens of trials) and form a correct mapping from
input to output domain.

Here's how to get the reprint from neuroprose:

        unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
        Name: anonymous
        Password: neuron
        ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
        ftp> binary
        ftp> get smagt.rtcontrol.ps.Z
        ftp> quit
        unix> uncompress smagt.rtcontrol.ps.Z
        unix> lpr smagt.rtcontrol.ps (or however you print postscript)

Questions or comments can be sent to me at:

        Patrick van der Smagt
        email: smagt at fwi.uva.nl
        fax: +31 20 525 7490
        phone: +31 20 525 7524