REQUEST FOR INFORMATION: NNs AND ECONOMICS

ECONEC@vax.oxford.ac.uk ECONEC at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 11 11:39:00 EDT 1991

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I am studying for an MLitt/DPhil at the Oxford University and would be very
grateful for some help. This message is being transmitted to several relevant
lists and please feel free to forward it to anyone who might be interested.
Apologies in advance to anyone who gets fed up with seeing it!

1) REQUEST: I am interested in references and names for work broadly in the
area of AI techniques applied to economics. To narrow this down, I am
interested in AI as a tool for developing alternative models of economic
behaviour than the traditional view of man as a perfectly informed calculating
machine! Because of the behavioural aspect and my preference for economic
theory I am hoping to avoid work that simply uses AI techniques to solve
traditional models faster. (GAs as function optimisers for instance.) Similarly
I am not seeking information on decision support or Expert Systems unless they
make some attempt (or claim) to emulate human decision making behaviour.
(Default Logics? Frames?) Please err on the side of completeness!

2) OFFER: Obviously I can provide summaries of my findings to various lists
in the usual way. (Perhaps you could say where you saw my post so I can keep
the summaries relevant to each list.) What I would also like to do is find out
whether there is any interest in an adhoc email list of people working in this
area. Or if there is one already I would very much like to hear about it. I'm
sure such things have been going for years in the US but information here in the
UK seems very sparse. I would be quite happy to "maintain" an unofficial
bulletin board or mailing list if one does not exist.

Many thanks in advance for any help and please feel free to contact me on any
aspect of this posting.

Edmund Chattoe

SNAIL: LADY MARGARET HALL
       OXFORD