GA VFSR paper

@risc.ua.edu at risc.ua.edu
Wed Nov 20 14:47:35 EST 1991

(the following letter was sent to B. Rosen and L. Ingber, but I dropped
a copy to connectionist as well, since I felt it might be of interest)
Hi,
 I just finished reading your interesting paper on GA vs. VFSR.
You may be interested in a technical report I distribute:

Goldberg, D. E. (1990).A note on Boltzmann tournament selection for genetic
algorithms and population-oriented simulated annealing (TCGA Report No. 90003).

This paper deals with the combination of a SA-like selection procedure with
a GA. Although the implementation is rather rough, the idea is
provocative. Ultimately, SA is what GA researchers would view as a
selection algorithm that should be able to compliment, rather than compete
with GAs. This is an interesting area for future research, although
I've never been able to get around to experimenting with these ideas.
I'd be glad to send you a copy of the report. If it happens to spark any
ideas, I'd love to get in on them.

BTW, the GA selection scheme you use (roulette wheel selection)
is known to be very noisy, and is not generally used in modern GAs.
See:

%&&##$$
@article{Baker:87,
    author = "Baker, J. E.",
      year = "1987",
     title = "Reducing Bias and Ineffiency in the Selection Algorithms",
   journal = "Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Genetic Algorithms",
	    pages = "14--21"}

Goldberg, D. E., & Deb, K. (1990). A comparative analysis of selection schemes
used in genetic algorithms
(TCGA Report No. 90007).

It would also be interesting to examine more problems, since
even DeJong has criticized the concentration of the GA community
on his test suite. It would probably be good to consider problems
that are constructed with various degrees of deception.
See the following papers:

Goldberg, D. E. (1988a). Genetic algorithms and Walsh functions: Part I, a
gentle introduction
(TCGA Report No. 88006).

Goldberg, D. E. (1989). Genetic algorithms and Walsh functions: Part II,
deception and its analysis (TCGA Report No. 89001).

Goldberg, D. E. (1986). Simple genetic algorithms and the minimal, deceptive
problem (TCGA Report No. 86003).

Take Care,
Rob Smith.
Robert Elliott Smith