neural nets as universal computing devices

AC1MPS@primea.sheffield.ac.uk AC1MPS at primea.sheffield.ac.uk
Sat May 18 12:17:00 EDT 1991

Drs Siegelman and Sontag (and anyone else interested)

With regard to your note that "Neural nets are universal computing
devices", you might be interested in some work described in a series
of technical reports from Bruce MacLennan at Knoxville, Tennessee.

MacLennan starts with the observation that when a very large number
of processors are involves in some parallel/distributed system, it's
sensible to model them and their calculations as if they are 'continuous'
in extent and nature. The result is a theory of "field computation",
which he uses as a framework for a theory of massively parallel analog
computation. MacLennan has, I believe, also been investigating the
possibility of designing a "universal" field computer.

If we think of MacLennan's model as the limiting case when the number
of nodes/connections in a net becomes enormous, it would be interesting
to know whether your universal model 'converges' to his, in some sense.

I would very much appreciate a copy of the technical report when it's
available.

Mike Stannett               e-mail:
Formal Methods Group        AC1MPS @ primea.sheffield.ac.uk
Dept of Computer Science