Adaptive Range Coding - Tech Report Available

Bruce E Rosen rosen at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Feb 14 14:11:46 EST 1991

    REPORT AVAILABLE ON ADAPTIVE RANGE CODING

At the request of a few people at NIPS, I placed in the connectionists archive
the postscript version of my report describing adaptive range coding.
Below are the abstract and instructions on ftp retrieval.

I would very much welcome any discussion of this subject.  If you want, send
email to me and I can summarize later for the net.

Thanks
Bruce

Report DMI-90-4, UCLA Distributed Machine Intelligence Laboratory, January 1991

      		Adaptive Range Coding

			Abstract

This paper examines a class of neuron based learning systems
for dynamic control that rely on adaptive range coding of sensor
inputs.  Sensors are assumed to provide binary coded range
vectors that coarsely describe the system state.  These vectors
are input to neuron-like processing elements.  Output decisions
generated by these "neurons" in turn affect the system state,
subsequently producing new inputs.  Reinforcement signals from
the environment are received at various intervals and evaluated.
The neural weights as well as the range boundaries determining
the output decisions are then altered with the goal of maximizing
future reinforcement from the environment.  Preliminary experiments
show the promise of adapting "neural receptive fields" when
learning dynamical control.  The observed performance with this
method exceeds that of earlier approaches.

To obtain copies of the postscript file, please use Jordan Pollack's service:

Example:
unix> ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu          # (or ftp 128.146.8.62)
Name (cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu:): anonymous
Password (cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu:anonymous): <ret>
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get
(remote-file) rosen.adaptrange.ps.Z
(local-file) rosen.adaptrange.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix> uncompress rosen.adaptrange.ps
unix> lpr -P(your_local_postscript_printer) rosen.adaptrange.ps