neural PCA; TRs on neural learning

Shun-ichi Amari amari at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Dec 14 15:13:17 EST 1991

to note one old paper:  S.Amari, "Neural theory of association and concept-
formation", Biol. Cybern. vol. 26 (1977), pp.175-185.  In this paper, a
general neural learning scheme was treated. As an example, it was clealy analyzed
(p.179) that a type of learning leads to the eigenvector corresponding to the
maximal eigenvalue of the covariance matrix of input signals.
     I do not know if this is the first literature of treating neural PCA.
May be not.

     New Technical Reports are now available.
     Four Types of Learning Curves, by S.Amari, N.Fujita and S.Shinomoto,
          METR 91-04, May 1991, U. Tokyo

     Statistical Theory of Learning Curves under Entropic Loss Criterion,
          by S.Amari and N.Murata, METR 91-12, Nov. 1991, U. Tokyo.

Both of them studies the relation between the number of training examples
and generalization errors.  If there are a rush of paper requests, I am afraid
that I cannot handle them all.