Tech Report: Multiassociative Memory

john kolen kolen-j at cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 15 13:30:07 EDT 1991

Another fine tech report available through the neuroprose archive at
cis.ohio-state.edu:

			Multiassociative Memory

		  John F. Kolen and Jordan B. Pollack
		       Laboratory for AI Research
		Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences
		       The Ohio State University
			   Columbus, OH 43210

				Abstract

This paper discusses the problem of implementing many to many, or
multiassociative, mappings with connectionist models.  Traditional symbolic
approaches explicitly represent all alternatives via stored links, or
implicitly represent the alternatives through enumerative algorithms.
Classical pattern association models ignore the issue of generating multiple
outputs for a single input pattern.  While recent research on recurrent
networks looks promising, the field has not clearly focused on
multiassociativity as a goal.  In this paper, we define multiassociative memory
and discuss its utility in cognitive modeling.  We extend sequential cascaded
networks to fit the task, and perform several initial experiments which
demonstrate the feasibility of the concept.

%ftp cis.ohio-state.edu
Connected to cis.ohio-state.edu
220 news FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
Name (cis.ohio-state.edu:kolen-j): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password
Password: username
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> get kolen.multi.ps.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for kolen.multi.ps.Z (128.146.61.207,1336) (48345
bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
48580 bytes received in 1.1 seconds (42 Kbytes/s)

then uncompress and print the file

%uncompress kolen.multi.ps.Z
%lpr kolen.multi.ps