Request for info on satellite photo analysis.

ira@linus.mitre.org ira at linus.mitre.org
Tue Aug 13 10:15:01 EDT 1991

I am aware of some efforts to use neural networks for satellite
photo analysis. The cloud work you heard about may have been from our
group here at MITRE. I believe Hughes has applied the Boundary Contour
System to either high altitude or satellite imagery.

Our work applies neural network vision techniques to the cloud and
other recognition problems.  See "Meteorological Classification of
Satellite Imagery Using Neural Network Data Fusion," Smotroff, I. G.,
Howells, T. P., Lehar, S., International Joint Conference On Neural
Networks, June 1990, Vol.  II, pp. 23-28.

See also "Meteorological Classification of Satellite Imagery and
Ground Sensor Data Using Neural Network Data Fusion," Smotroff,
Howells, Lehar, in Proceedings of the American Meteorological Society
Seventh International Conference on Interactive Information and
Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology, New
Orleans, LA, January 1991, pp. 239-243.

Ira Smotroff (ira at mitre.org)