new neta release of cluster program

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU stolcke at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Apr 20 18:27:39 EDT 1991

Dear Connectionists:

This is the second release of my enhanced version of the `cluster' program
(original version by Y. Miyata).  It has a bunch of added features, most
importantly I merged a Principal Component Analysis program
I once wrote into this program, so it now does both HCA and PCA, using
compatible input and output formats.  I and a couple of people around here
have been using this with great success, but there are bound to be
some bugs left, especially in the less commonly used features.
I would encourage people who have a need for this kind of tool to
give it a try and report errors and shortcomings back to me.
Once I'm confident that there are no major deficiencies left I'll
make an updated version available and announce it on this list.

	Andreas

HOW TO GET CLUSTER

cluster is available via anonymous ftp from icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu
(128.32.201.55).  To get it use FTP as follows:

% ftp icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu
Connected to icsic.Berkeley.EDU.
220 icsi-ftp (icsic) FTP server (Version 5.60 local) ready.
Name (icsic.Berkeley.EDU:stolcke): anonymous
Password (icsic.Berkeley.EDU:anonymous):
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
230 Guest login Ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/ai
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get cluster-2beta.tar.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for cluster-2beta.tar.Z (15531 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
15531 bytes received in 0.08 seconds (1.9e+02 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

HOW TO BUILD CLUSTER

Unpack in an empty directory using

% zcat cluster-2beta.tar.Z | tar xf -

Read the README and especially the man page (cluster.man) for information.
Then compile with

% make

After making the appropriate adjustments in the Makefile you can

% make install

On most BSD-based UNIX systems cluster should compile without problems.
The Makefile gives some hint as to what might have to be changed to
get it to run.

And please, tell me where I goofed!