technical report

Michael Jordan jordan at psyche.mit.edu
Thu Oct 11 15:24:11 EDT 1990

The following technical report is available:

       Forward Models: Supervised Learning with a Distal Teacher

			  Michael I. Jordan
	         Massachusetts Institute of Technology

			  David E. Rumelhart
			 Stanford University

		   MIT Center for Cognitive Science
			 Occasional Paper #40

			       Abstract

	Internal models of the environment have an important role to
   play in adaptive systems in general and are of particular importance
   for the supervised learning paradigm.  In this paper we demonstrate
   that certain classical problems associated with the notion of the
   ``teacher'' in supervised learning can be solved by judicious use
   of learned internal models as components of the adaptive system.
   In particular, we show how supervised learning algorithms can be
   utilized in cases in which an unknown dynamical system intervenes
   between actions and desired outcomes.  Our approach applies to any
   supervised learning algorithm that is capable of learning in multi-
   layer networks.

Copies can be obtained in one of two ways:

(1) ftp a postscript copy from cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu. The
file is jordan.forward-models.Z in the pub/neuroprose directory. You can
either use the Getps script or follow these steps:

unix:1> ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Connected to cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.
Name (cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu:): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password: neuron
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get jordan.forward-models.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix:2> uncompress jordan.forward-models.ps.Z
unix:3> lpr jordan.forward-models.ps

(2) Order a hardcopy from bonsaint at psyche.mit.edu or hershey at psych.stanford.edu.
(use a nearest-geographic-neighbor rule).  Please use this option only if
option (1) is not feasible.  Mention the "Forward Models" technical report.

	--Mike Jordan