image compression

Thierry BERNARD vg at psyche.inria.fr
Tue May 15 13:56:57 EDT 1990

As NN are usually meant to yield suboptimal answers for difficult problems,
I am surprised that they can be used for LOSSLESS image compression.

Anyway, if losing some information is acceptable, may be our work is of some
interest. For image processing purposes within smart sensors, we have
designed a neural technique for image analog-to-binary conversion, that we
actually call "neural halftoning". We treat this conversion as an optimization
problem subject to a fidelity criterion. The neural approach turns so adapted
that :
- the conversion quality is better than in any other halftoning technique.
- a 100x100 pixel/neuron array can easily fit inside a standard CMOS chip.

Anyone interested can read 2 recent papers of ours :

[1] A neural halftoning algorithm suiting VLSI implementation.
T.Bernard, P.Garda, B.Zavidovique.  IEEE ICASSP  April 90

[2] About the use of the adjective "neural", when applied to smart sensors.
T.Bernard, B.Zavidovique.  IEEE ICPR  June 90

--

	Thierry Bernard (vg at etca.fr)