image compression

Nici Schraudolph schraudo%cs at ucsd.edu
Sat May 12 18:23:36 EDT 1990

> From: Christof Koch <koch%HAMLET.BITNET at vma.CC.CMU.EDU>
>
> Paul Kube is entirely right. Not only should we not use the Lena picture
> as a bench mark, but we should also boycott books and museums which
> display the "Mona Lisa", Botticelli's "Venus" or Gaugin's "Tahiti Nudes".

This comparison demonstrates ignorance of the cultural context in which
Da Vinci, Botticelli and Gauguin created their masterpieces.  But even if
you choose to consider these works as sexist this neither diminishes their
cultural value, nor does it excuse you from the social responsibilities
of our time.

Nici Schraudolph, C-014                nschraudolph at ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego    nschraudolph at ucsd.bitnet
La Jolla, CA 92093                     ...!ucsd!nschraudolph