image compression

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at ai.toronto.edu
Wed May 9 16:09:56 EDT 1990

We are doing some work on lossless image compression.
(i.e. the image must be transmitted using as few bits as possible, but must be
perfectly reconstructed after transmission).

1. Does anyone know of any neural network work on lossless image compression?
(We know about vector quantization, autoencoders, etc, but these are lossy
techniques that wouldn't be too good for compressing your disk files etc.)

2. Does anyone have an image on which other lossless techniques have been
tried so that we can compare our technique?

Thanks
Geoff