Neural models of attention

gaudiano@bucasb.bu.edu gaudiano at bucasb.bu.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:50:53 EST 1990

In addition to all the work on attention mentioned by the previous
replies, there is a large body of work by Grossberg on psychological
and physiological aspects of attention. Most of the relevant articles
are collected in two volumes:

[1] S. Grossberg (1986) {\bf The Adaptive Brain I: Cognition,
Learning, Reinforcement, and Rhythm.} Amsterdam: Elsevier/North-Holland.

Chapter 1 is one that I found particularly clear. It is a reprint of
the article:
"A Psychophysiological theory of reinforcement, drive, motivation, and
attention." {\em Journal of Theoretical Neurobiology.} V. I, 286-369. 1982.
The only problem is that attention surfaces here as an integral part
of a model that is based primarily on conditioning. Basically, the
idea is that things like "motivation", "attention", "drives", etc.
have a clear interpretation within the large framework of this
article. This means that if you want to know about attention (or
motivation, etc.) you kind of need to look at all the rest of the
stuff. You will not find a single, self-sustained section that tells
you "here is a neural net for attention". Actually, you will find
that (e.g., sec. 37), but it is based on all the rest of the material.
If you are willing to get into this, it's an *excellent* article.

The other good resource would be:
[2] S. Grossberg {\bf Studies of Mind and Brain} Boston: Reidel. 1982.

For instance, chapter 6 is a reprint of:
"A neural model of Attention, Reinforcement and Discrimination Learning."
{\em International Review of Neurobiology,} (Carl Pfeiffer, Ed.),
V.18, 263-327. 1975.
This is an older, and perhaps even broader-scoped article than the
other one.

Finally, the latest compilation (hey, why write books when you have
hundreds of articles that need to be collected in individual, coherent
volumes?) is
[3] {\bf Neural Networks and Natural Intelligence.} Cambridge, MA,
USA: MIT Press. 1988.
This includes at least three articles on computer simulations of some
of the models developed in the older articles.

Have fun!