Networks for pattern recognition problems?

George Kaczowka uvm-gen!idx!gsk at uunet.UU.NET
Wed Jul 18 17:45:41 EDT 1990

> Do you know of any references to work done using connectionist (neural)
> networks for pattern recognition problems? I particularly am interested
> in problems where the network was shown to outperform traditional algorithms.
>
> I am working on a presentation to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric
> Admin.) management that partially involves pattern recognition
> and am trying to argue against the statement:
> "...results thus far [w/ networks] have not been notably more
> impressive than with more traditional pattern recognition techniques".
>
> I have always felt that pattern recognition is one of the strengths of
> connectionist network approaches over other techniques and would like
> some references to back this up.
>
> thanks much, rich
Rich --
  I don't know if this helps, but a company in Providence RI called NESTOR has
put together a couple of products.. come of which have been  customized systems
for customers solving pattern recognition problems.. One I remember was
regarding bond trading in the financial world.. I seem to remenber that the
model outperformed the "experts" by at least 10-15%, and that this was used
(and is as far as I know) by some on wall street. I know that they have been in
the insurance field for claim analysys as well as physical pattern
recognition.. They were founded by a phd out of Brown University, and I am sure
that you caould obtain reference works from them..  I understand that they are
involved in a few military pattern recognition systems for fighters as well..
  Good luck.. I was interested in their work some time ago, but have been off
on other topics for over a year..
				-- George --