Networks for pattern recognition problems?

Dave Shaw shaw_d at clipr.colorado.edu
Wed Jul 18 18:22:00 EDT 1990

To date we have compared the expert system originally built for the task with
many configurations of neural nets (based on your work), multiple linear
regression equations, discriminant analysis, many types of nearest neighbor
systems, and some work on automatic decision tree generation algorithms.
Performance in measured both in the ROC P sub a (which turns out to be only
a moderate indicator of performance, due to the unequal n's in the two
distributions), and maximum percent correct, given the optimal bias setting.
All systems have been trained and tested on the same sets of training and test
data. As I indicated before, the story isn't completely in yet, but it is very
hard to show significant differences between any of these systems on the solar
flare task.

Dave