No subject

mariah!yak@tucson.sie.arizona.edu mariah!yak at tucson.sie.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:58:40 EDT 1990

Dear Dr. Fozzrad,

I read your email message on a call for pattern recog. problems
for which NN's are known to outperform traditional methods.

I've worked in statistics and pattern recognition for some while.
Have a fair number of publications.

I've been reading th neural net literature and I'd be quite surprised
if you get convincing replies in the affirmative, to your quest.
My opinion is that stuff even from the '60's and '70's, such as
the books by Duda and Hart, Gonzales and Fu, implemented on standard
computers, are still much more effective than methodology I've come across
using NN algorithms, which are mathematically much more rstrictive.

In brief, if you hear of good solid instances favorable to NN's,
please let me know.

Sincerely,

Sid Yakowitz
Professor