Networks for pattern recognition problems?

Richard Fozzard fozzard at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 17 14:19:01 EDT 1990

Do you know of any references to work done using connectionist (neural)
networks for pattern recognition problems? I particularly am interested
in problems where the network was shown to outperform traditional algorithms.

I am working on a presentation to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Admin.) management that partially involves pattern recognition
and am trying to argue against the statement:
"...results thus far [w/ networks] have not been notably more
impressive than with more traditional pattern recognition techniques".

I have always felt that pattern recognition is one of the strengths of
connectionist network approaches over other techniques and would like
some references to back this up.

thanks much, rich