organization levels

Richard Rohwer rr%cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk at NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Sat Feb 24 10:50:12 EST 1990

> From: Alain Grumbach <grumbach at fr.enst.ulysse>
> [...]
> I am wondering about the notion of "organization level",
> [...]
> But has anybody heard about a formal description of it ?

A serious attempt to mathematically formalize a notion of "level"
within a broad formal theory of perception can be found in

B. Bennett, D. Hoffman, and C. Prakash, "Observer Mechanics, A Formal
Theory of Perception", Academic Press (1989).
See especially Ch. 9.

> (formal but understandable !)

Copious use of concepts and notation from modern analysis make the
reading a bit tedious.  But in my opinion, the underlying conceptual
structure is novel, plausible, and provocative.  I have an ambition to
write a less careful but more direct "Readers' Digest condensed version"
-- but I won't say when.

Richard Rohwer                            JANET: rr at uk.ac.ed.cstr
Centre for Speech Technology Research      ARPA: rr%ed.cstr at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University                     BITNET: rr at cstr.ed.ac.uk,
80, South Bridge                                 rr%cstr.ed.UKACRL
Edinburgh  EH1 1HN,   Scotland             UUCP: ...!{seismo,decvax,ihnp4}
                                                          !mcvax!ukc!cstr!rr