Connectionism vs AI?

Manoel Fernando Tenorio tenorio at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:46:43 EST 1990

Bcc:

--------

   From:  Tony Chan <chan%unb.ca at UNBMVS1.csd.unb.ca>

   Concerning this and related questions, Elizabeth Preston [Sun, 16 Dec 90
   14:41:02 EST] mentioned, "a great deal of ink and hot air has been
   expended on it in various public forums over the last few years. ...  I
   don't see that the question is answerable at this stage in the
   development and theoretical understanding of the two fields.  In fact,
   I'm not sure it's even askable."

   I would not ask that question; instead, I would ask a larger question
   which, if satifactorily answered, would make the previous question
   obsolete: Should there exist one formal (mathematical) unifying paradigm
   within which all investigations concerning the artificial re-creation of
   intelligence are to be carried out?

   If the answer is yes, as I believe, an immediate question that should be
   asked is the legitimacy of the current ad hoc separation of these
   related areas: artificial intelligence, connectionism, pattern
   recognition, cognitive science, cybernetics, machine learning, etc.?

   In fact, not only there should be one---there is one!  So the answer is
   affirmative in existential sense and in constructive sense.  I refer
   interested readers to the communication of Lev Goldfarb [Thu, 27 Sep 90
   16:28:09 EDT].

I am not sure about a mathematical paradigm for all investigation concerning
the art. intelligence. I am not really sure we can define what these are.
If we restrict ourselves to inferences, in a paper soon to come out, we
will shown that current NN models are of the equivalent class of the
AI inference models. They can both be reduce to a graph grammar ( using
cathegory theory) to a simple rewriting system of equivalent power.
Neither will give much better results than a currently available for inference.
We need a radical departure from these to accomplish "intelligent behavior"
on this narrower sense.

M. F. Tenorio.