Tabu Search, and other stuff

Elizabeth Bates bates at crl.ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 9 01:20:27 EST 1990

It is clear that the connectionist list has gotten very large, and it
now includes people at very different levels of expertise (including
people like me who couldn't do a serious simulation if you put a gun
to our heads, but still are interested in the basic ideas and the way
that they are developing over a short period of time).  I understand
Touretzky's frustration with amateurs, and naive questions, but I thnk
the community will be better off in the long run if you (we?) can tolerate
a little more naivete, for a little longer.  Important things are happening,
and this medium is an important event in its own right.  Let's stretch
the limits a little longer, at the risk of putting up with a few more
irritating messages in our daily logs than we might otherwise prefer.
"in groups" abound.  Generous and free-spirited exercises do not. -liz bates