reprints available

Dr Michael G Dyer dyer at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Dec 3 23:23:12 EST 1990

reprints available:

Dyer, M. G.  Distributed symbol formation and processing
in connectionist networks.  Journal of Experimental and Theoretical
Artificial Intelligence.  Vol. 2, 215-239, 1990.

Abstract:  Distributed connectionist (DC) systems offer a set of
processing features which are distinct from those provided by
traditional symbol processing (SP) systems.  In general, the features
of DC systems are derived from the nature of their distributed
representations.  Such representations have a microsemantics -- i.e.
symbols with similar internal representations tend to have similar
processing effects.   In contrast, the symbols in SP systems have no
intrinsic microsemantics of their own; e.g.  SP symbols are formed by
concatenating ASCII codes that are static, human engineered, and
arbitrary.  Such symbols possess only a macrosemantics -- i.e.
symbols are placed into structured relationships with other symbols,
via pointers, and bindings are propagated via variables.  The fact
that DC and SP systems each provide a distinct set of useful features
serves as a strong research motivation for seeking a synthesis.  What
is needed for such a synthesis is a method by which symbols can
dynamically form their own microsemantics, while at the same time
entering into structured, recursive relationships with other symbols,
thus developing also a macrosemantics.  Here, we describe a general
method, called symbol recirculation, for allowing symbols to form
their own microsemantics.  We then discuss three techniques for
implementing variables and bindings in DC systems.  Finally, we
describe a number of DC systems, based on these techniques, which
perform a variety of high-level cognitive tasks.

requests for reprints should be sent to:   valerie at cs.ucla.edu