Temporal Pulse Codes

John Huntington Reynolds reynolds at bucasd.bu.edu
Sat Apr 21 20:17:47 EDT 1990

I'm very interested in "multiple meaning" theories (e.g. Raymond and
Lettvin, and now Optican and Richmond), the informational role that
conduction blocks in axon arbors might play, and the function of
temporally modulated pulse codes in general.

I'm writing in order to gather references to related work.  I'm really
just getting my feet wet at this point -- I joined Steve Grossberg's
Cognitive and Neural Systems program as a PhD student in September,
and with courses and my R.A. work I've been too snowed under to really
pursue these interests very fully.

Work in temporal pulse encoding I am aware of includes

Chung, Raymond, and Lettvin (1970) Multiple meanings in single visual
	units.  Brain Behavior and Evolution 3:72-101.

Gray, Konig, Engel, and Singer (1989) Oscillatory Responses in Cat
	Visual Cortex Exhibit inter-Columnar Synchronization Which
	Reflects Global Stimulus Properties.  Nature Vol. 338, March
	1989.

Optican, Podell, Richmond, and Spitzer (1987) Temporal Encoding of
	Two-Dimensional Patterns by Single Units in Primate Inferior
	Temporal Cortex. (three part series) Journal of Neurophysiology.
	Vol 57, No 1, January 1987.

Pratt, Gill (1990) Pulse Computation.  PhD Thesis.  MIT, January, 1990.

Steve Raymond and Jerry Lettvin (1978) Aftereffects of activity in
	peripheral axons as a clue to nervous coding. In: Physiology
	and Pathobiology of Axons. SG Waxman, ed. Raven Press, New York.

Richmond, Optican, and Gawne (1990) Neurons Use Multiple Messages
	Encoded in Temporally Modulated Spike Trains to Represent
	Pictures.  Preprint of a chapter in Seeing Contour and Color
	ed. J. Kulikowski, Pergamon Press.

... and a lot of work that has been done in the area of temporal
coding in the auditory nerve and cochlear nucleus (average localized
synchrony response (ALSR) coding).

I've finally reached a (brief) lull in my activities here, and I'd
appreciate any advice you'd care to offer.

			--thanks in advance, John Reynolds