Summer Hiring at Ford Aerospace

Kamil A Grajski kamil at wdl1.fac.ford.com
Thu Apr 26 15:47:24 EDT 1990

Hi,
In the spirit of public-service, here is an unofficial announcement,
an announcelette, if you please, that some people at Ford
Aerospace (San Jose) might be looking for summer hires.

						4/25/90
The Advanced Development Department of Ford Aerospace's Western
Development Laboratories in San Jose historically has summer (May,June-
August) job positions open to promising junior & senior undergraduates
and graduate students.

Broadly speaking, on-going projects are aimed at algorithm design
and development (software & hardware) for real-time systems combining
digital signal processing and classification.  The classification
component includes, but is NOT limited to neural network technology.
There is a statistical component which is looking at classical as
well as some new non-parametric methods.

On-going projects (funded by Ford Motor Co. and/or IR&D) involve:
a.) design, development and implementation of an on-board
    engine knock detector and classifier for aiding engine
    performance optimization - joint project with Ford Motor
    Co. - real real-time data!  (Free rides in a Taurus!)

b.) several related projects in real-time speech processing,
    e.g., speaker change detection, word spotting in continuous speech,
    - we have home-grown, TIMIT and other databases on-line.
    We are currently interested in the performance and applicability
    of recurrent architectures to ASR, developing synergy with HMMs,
    and some recent nonparametric statistical discriminant methods.

c.) parallel computation - we have a 2K processor element SIMD
    machine from MasPar (the beta version) with possible limited
    access to 8K and 16K versions onto which we are
    porting a variety of DSP, neural network and statistical
    methodologies for production and in-house research efforts.
    We are emphasizing some neat approaches to writing "virtualized"
    code for multi-processor systems.  (Preliminary results to be
    reported at IJCNN and INNC.)

The office environment is a typical Silicon Valley set-up.  There
are shower facilities for that afternoon jog or bike-ride; loads
of places to eat, etc.

Send resume or note to: kamil at wdl1.fac.ford.com (TCP/IP:128.5.32.1).
Dr. Kamil A. Grajski
Ford Aerospace
Advanced Development Department
Mail Stop X-22
220 Henry Ford II Dr. (dig that address!)
San Jose, CA 95161-9041