selective attention

MURRE%HLERUL55.BITNET@vma.CC.CMU.EDU MURRE%HLERUL55.BITNET at vma.CC.CMU.EDU
Wed Apr 18 14:18:00 EDT 1990

We noticed that there were some inquiries about connectionist work on
selective attention and that our work was mentioned. This work will
appear shortly in Cognitive Psychology:

        Phaf, R.H., A.H.C. Van der Heijden, and P.T.W. Hudson (1990)
        SLAM: A connectionist model for attention in visual selection
        tasks. Cognitive Psychology, in press.

For those really interested a limited number of offprints of this rather
long paper will be available (after we have received the offprints
ourselves).

We have extended the attentional network to learning neural networks,
incorporating some effects of attention on learning and memory. The main
building block of these networks is the Categorizing And Learning Module
(CALM). We have nearly finished a long report on this work, which will
be announced for 'report requests' in this list shortly. In the mean
time, those interested may want to check:

        Murre, J.M.J., R.H. Phaf, and G. Wolters (1989) CALM: a modular
        approach to supervised and unsupervised learning. IEEE-INNS,
        Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural
        Networks, Washington DC, June 1989, Vol.1, p.649-656.

A review of this paper by T.P. Vogl will appear in one of the forthcoming
issues of Neural Network Review, accompanied by a reply from us.

With these CALM modules we have constructed a model which shows a
dissociation between implicit and explicit memory tasks (e.g., Schacter,
1987):

        Phaf, R.H., E. Postma, and G. Wolters (submitted) ELAN-1: a
        connectionist model for implicit and explicit memory tasks.

For those really interested some internal reports on this work are available.

        R. Hans Phaf            Jacob M.J. Murre

        E-mail:         MURRE at HLERUL55.Bitnet

        Address:        Unit of Experimental and Theoretical Psychology
                        Leiden University
                        P.O. Box 9555
                        2300 RB Leiden
                        The Netherlands