please post

Shriver Bruce D shriver at usl.edu
Sat Apr 7 08:50:16 EDT 1990

Could you please post the following?  Thank you,  Bruce Shriver

This note is being separately posted on the following bulletin
boards:

  connectionists
  neuron-digest
  neutran

Please recommend other bulletin boards that you think are also
appropriate.

I am interested in learning what experiences people have had using
neural network chips.  In an article that Colin Johnson did for PC
AI's January/February 1990 issue, he listed the information given
below about a number of NN chips (I've rearranged it in
alphabetical order by company name).  This list is undoubtedly
incomplete (no efforts at universities and industrial research
laboratories are listed, for example) and may have inaccuracies in
it.

Such a list would be more useful if it would contain the name,
address, phone number, FAX number, and electronic mail address of
a contact person at each company would be identified.

Information about the hardware and software support (interface and
coprocessor boards, prototype development kits, simulators,
development software, etc.) is missing.

Additionally, pointers to researchers who are planning to or have
actually been using these or similar chips would be extremely
useful. I am interested in finding out the range of intended
applications.

Could you please send me:

  a) updates and corrections to the list
  b) company contact information
  c) hardware and software support information
  d) information about plans to use or experiences with having used
     any of these chips (or chips that are not listed)

In a few weeks, if I get a sufficient response, I will resubmit an
enhanced listing of this information to the bulletin boards to
which I originally sent this note.   Thanks,

Bruce Shriver (shriver at usl.edu)

Company:       Accotech
Chip Name:     AK107
               chip ROM coded for neural networks
Availability:  available now
Company:       Fujitsu Ltd.
Chip Name:     MB4442
               second
Availability:  available in Japan now

Company:       Hitachi Ltd.
Chip Name:     none yet
Availability:  experimental

Company:       HNC Inc.
Chip Name:     HNC-100X
Availability:  Army battlefield computer

Company:       HNC
Chip Name:     HNC-200X
Availability:  Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
               contract

Company:       Intel Corp
Chip Name:     N64
               10,000 synapses
Availability:  available now

Company:       Micro Devices
Chip Name:     MD1210
               fuzzy comparator chip
Availability:  available now

Company:       Motorola Inc.
Chip Name:     none yet
               the "old brain"
Availability:  late in 1990

Company:       NASA, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
Chip Name:     none yet
               from RAM
Availability:  experimental

Company:       NEC Corp.
Chip Name:     uPD7281
               with neural software
Availability:  available in Japan

Company:       Nestor Inc.
Chip Name:     NNC
               connections
Availability:  Defense Dept. contract due in 1991

Company:       Nippon Telephone and Telegraph (NTT)
Chip Name:     none yet
               chips
Availability:  experimental

Company:       Science Applications International. Corp.
Chip Name:     none yet
Availability:  Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
               contract

Company:       Syntonic Systems Inc.
Chip Name:     Dendros-1
               Dendros-2