Recurrent Linguistic Domain Papers?

INS_ATGE%JHUVMS.BITNET@vma.CC.CMU.EDU INS_ATGE%JHUVMS.BITNET at vma.CC.CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 27 02:35:00 EDT 1990

I recently entered into a discussion with a professor of Cognitive
Science, who was of the opinion that connectionist models
are not reasonable ways of explaining linguistic processing since
 "there is no way for such systems to temporarily 'save their state'
  perform some other computation, and then restore the prior state.
  As a result, they seem to be limitied to...'finite state automata'"

Since he only knows about feedforward style models, I can understand
his feelings.  I am curious if anyone knows of a reference to
recurrent connectionist models which show non-FSA behavior
(linear bounded automata would be fine), or a reference which discusses
connectionist models used in linguistic domains involving
recursive grammars utilizing recurrent nets.

-Tom