Job Posting

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Oct 13 10:48:47 EDT 1989

     My dept is recruiting a  couple  of  faculty  in  areas
which  migbt be of interest to this group. The advertisement
for COMPUTATIONAL MODELS of NEURAL INFO.  PROCESSING,  going
out to press is enclosed below.

     Since the area is quite large and vague,  we  have  two
subareas in mind, but quality will overrule discipline.

     The first subarea is  "Biologically  Realistic  Connec-
tionism",  and  would  deal  with working models of neurons,
organs, or small creatures.  The  second  potentially  skips
over  biology  and  goes  right  to math and physics.  "Non-
Linear Cognition", or the study of complex dynamical systems
related either to brain or mind (e.g. self-organizing circu-
itry, cellular automata (reversibility?) chaos and  complex-
ity theory, fractal patterns in speech/music, and so on.

     We are also recruiting on a separate billet  in  SPEECH
PROCESSING, which could easily be in neural networks as well.

     Please contact me if you want to discuss it, or know of
anybody good.  Columbus is an especially nice place to live.

Jordan
pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu

      Laboratory for Artificial Intelligence Research
        and The Center for Cognitive Science at the
                 The Ohio State University

    Position Announcement in Computational Neuroscience

     A tenure-track faculty position at the  Assistant  Pro-
fessor level is expected to be available in the area of Com-
putational Neuroscience.  We are seeking outstanding  appli-
cants who have a strong  background and research interest in
developing computational models of neural  information  pro-
cessing.   A  Ph.D.  in  computer  science, or in some other
appropriate area with a sufficiently  strong  background  in
computation,  is  required.  The candidate will be a regular
faculty member in the Department of Computer  &  Information
Science,  and   will  promote  interactions among  cognitive
science, computer science  and  brain  science  through  the
Center for Cognitive Science.

     The LAIR has strong symbolic and connectionist projects
underway, the Department has wide interests in parallel com-
putation, and the University has  the  major  facilities  in
place  to support the computational neuroscience enterprise,
including several parallel computers, a  Cray  Y/MP,  and  a
full range of brain imaging systems in the medical school.

     Applicants should send a resume along  with  the  names
and addresses of at least three professional references to

Prof. B. Chandrasekaran
Department of Computer & Information Science
Ohio State University
2036 Neil Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210

     The Ohio  State  University  is  an  Equal  Opportunity
Affirmative  Action  Employer,  and  encourages applications
from qualified women and minorities.