Polynomial Nets

ananth sankar sankar at caip.rutgers.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:30:03 EDT 1989

I am sorry to be reposting this but I forgot to put the subject in my last
message. Sincere apologies to all.

A neural network basically classifies training and testing samples
into different regions in an n dimensional space. By generating the output
of the network for all possible points in the space one constructs a n + 1
dimensional surface with n independent variables. A polynomial can be
generated to approximate this surface.

It should be possible to construct a "polynomial neural network" that can do
this job. The neurons individually may implement simple polynomials (using
sigma-pi units maybe). I would really appreciate any pointers to any research
on this (published or unpublished). The work that I am aware of dates to
the late 60's--A.G. Ivakhnenko and Donald Specht--though they did not
model their systems as nn's.

I would also like feedback on what the potential use of such nets may be
over typical work like back prop.

Thanks in anticipation

Ananth Sankar
Dept. of Electrical Engg.