Tech Report "Towards a Cognitive Connectionism" available

Bob French french at cogsci.indiana.edu
Fri Oct 6 14:35:19 EDT 1989

The following Tech Report is now available.  It is scheduled to appear
in the January 1990 issue of AI and Society:

 ACTIVE SYMBOLS AND INTERNAL MODELS: TOWARDS A COGNITIVE CONNECTIONISM
                                by
          Stephen Kaplan, Mark Weaver and Robert M. French

 In this paper, we examine some recent criticisms of connectionist models. In
 the first section, we address the argument that connectionist models are
 fundamentally behaviorist in nature and, therefore, incapable of genuine
 cognition.  We conclude that these criticisms are indeed valid, but apply
 only to the currently popular class of feed-forward connectionist networks.

 To have any hope of avoiding the charge of behaviorism, and ultimately to
 support full cognition, connectionist architectures must be capable of
 producing persistent internal states.  We discuss the crucial notion
 of "active symbols" -- semi-autonomous representations -- as a basis for
 such a cognitive connectionist architecture.  Active symbols arise, we
 argue, out of recurrent circuits, the connectionist implementation of
 Hebbian cell assemblies.

 Recurrent architectures have become more prominent in the past year.
 However, most researchers investigating recurrent architectures seem
 to view recurrent circuitry merely as an "improved back-prop" for handling
 time-sequencing.  Our view, that the recurrent circuit must be the
 fundamental building block of any cognitive connectionist architecture,
 represents a philosophical departure from current thought.

 In the final section we speculate on the potentials and limits of an
 associationist architecture.  In particular, we examine how the this type
 of architecture might be able to produce the structure that is evident in
 human cognitive capacities, and thus answer the criticisms of Fodor and
 Pylyshyn.

 This paper is scheduled to appear in AI and Society in January 1990.

 To obtain a copy of this paper, send e-mail to french at cogsci.indiana.edu
 or write to:

               Bob French
               Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition
               Indiana University
               510 North Fess
               Bloomington, Indiana 47401