UCLA SFINX - "neural" net simulator

Dr. Josef Skrzypek skrzypek at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Nov 21 19:53:14 EST 1989

   Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 17:11:32 EST
   From: Scott.Fahlman at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

	    The UCLA-SFINX, a "neural" network simulator is now in  pub-
       lic domain...

   I'm guessing that you don't really mean "public domain" here, since later
   int he message you say that this code is copyrighted and you go on at some
   length about how to get a license.  There's a big legal difference between
   "public domain" and "copyrighted, but available free of charge for
   non-commerical use".  "Public domain" means that the owner of the
   intellectual property is relinquishing all control over it, which does not
   seem to be the case here.

   I'm not complaining, just trying to clarify the situation here.  I think
   it's great when people make useful pieces of software available without
   cost, even if there are some strings attached.

   -- Scott

You are correct that SFINX is not strictly in "public domain".
Eventually, we will adapt the Free Software Foundation license
agreement; the effort needed to overcome various administrative
"procedures" would simply delay the release.

Thanks for your comments.

Josef