Volunteers Wanted for IJCNN

Robert Hecht-Nielsen neilson%cs at ucsd.edu
Wed May 3 18:42:16 EDT 1989

	Request for volunteers for the upcoming International
		Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN)

			June 18 - June 22

Requirements: In order to receive full admission to conference and
the proceedings, you are required to work June 19 - June 22, one shift
each day. On June 18 there will be tutorials presented all day. In
order to see a tutorial, you must work that tutorial. See the
information below on what tutorials are being presented.

Shifts: There are 3 shifts: Morning, afternoon and evening.  It is
best that you work the same shift each day. Volunteers are organized
into groups and you will, more than likely, be working with the same
group each day.  This allows at great deal of flexibility for
everyone. If there is a paper being presented at the time of your
shift, you can normally work it out with your group to see it. Last
year I had no complaints from any of the volunteers regarding missing
a paper which they wanted to view.

Tutorials: The following tutorials are being presented:

	1) Pattern Recognition - Prof. David Casasent
	2) Adaptive Pattern Recognition - Prof. Leon Cooper
	2) Vision - Prof. John Daugman
	4) Neurobiology Review - Dr. Walter Freeman
	5) Adaptive Sensory Motor Control - Prof. Stephen Grossberg
	6) Dynamical Systems Review - Prof. Morris Hirsch
	7) Neural Nets - Algorithms & Microhardware - Prof. John Hopfield
	8) VLSI Technology and Neural Network Chips - Dr. Larry Jackel
	9) Self-Organizing Feature Maps - Tuevo Kohonen
	10) Associative Memory - Prof. Bart Kosko
	11) Optical Neurocomputers - Prof. Demitre Psaltis
	12) Starting a High-Tech Company - Peter Wallace
	13) LMS techniques in Neural Networks - Prof. Bernard Widrow
	14) Reenforcement Learning - Prof. Ronald Williams

If you want to work the tutorials, please return to me you preferences
from 1 to 14 (1 being the one you want to see the most).

Housing: Guest housing is available at the University of Maryland. It
is about 30 minutes away from the hotel, but Washington D.C has a
great "metro" system to get you to and from the conference.  The cost
of housing per night is $16.50 per person for a double room, or $22.50
for a single room. I will be getting more information on this, but you
need to sign up as soon as possible as these prices are quite reasonable
for the area and the rooms will go quickly.

General Meeting: A general meeting is scheduled at the hotel on
Saturday, June 17, around 6:00 pm. You must attend this meeting!  If
there is a problem with you not being able to make the meeting, I need
to know about it.

When you contact me to commit yourself officially, I will need
from you the following:

	1) shift preference
	2) tutorial preferences
	3) housing preference (University Housing?)

To expedite things, I can be contacted at work at (619) 573-7391
during 7:00am-2:00pm west coast time. You may also leave a message on
my home phone (619) 942-2843.

					Thank-you,
					Karen G. Haines
					IJCNN Tutorials Chairman