Connections Per Second

singer@Think.COM singer at Think.COM
Mon Aug 28 21:13:39 EDT 1989

   Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 14:38:31 EDT
   From: Thomas Edwards <tedwards at cmsun.nrl.navy.mil>

   I have been wondering about interconnections per second ratings.
   Suppose:

	[...]

    reading some Cray claims that the X-MP (1 CPU) should be able to do
    50 million interconnections per second, and the Connection Machine
    is capable of only 13 million (which seems fairly slow compared to
    some of the benchmarks I have run).

With all due respect to the issues of benchmarking neural networks and
with no intention of trivializing this intellectual forum with
timings, I feel obligated by my corporate loyalties to mention that
the last neural network timings done on a Connection Machine were 80
million weight updates per second (paper to be presented at NIPS '89).

Alexander Singer
Thinking Machines Corp.
singer at think.com