Tech Reports Available by FTP

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 23 20:19:13 EDT 1989

**********DO NOT FORWARD TO OTHER BBOARDS**************

It is really quite costly, in fact, to make 200 copies of big papers
and mail them off around the world, especially since that is what
journals make profit by doing! The original idea was not for
self-publicity, but as an advanced circulation announcement for
friends and colleagues.

Here is a self-organizing solution which moves the cost of paper to
the requestor and the cost of postage to the spare capacity of the
network! We can start a database of technical reports in postscript
(or perhaps TeX, if you're not worried about prosecurity).  Local
sources have donated a few tens of megabytes to the connectionist
cause, in the directory pub/neuroprose on the host
cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu

You can PUT or GET articles in a few seconds or minutes, tex them if
necessary, and zip them off on your nearest postscript laser printer.
Of course, it helps if all of figures are in place, appended, or in a
separate but closely named postscript file.

For example, I am hereby announcing the FTP availability of postscript
versions of a couple of articles in the publishing pipeline. Note the
naming convention, which should evolve from the rather simple scheme
of (author,subject,filetype):

pollack.newraam.ps            latest revision of RAAM paper
pollack.perceptrons.ps        widely advertised bookreview to appear in JMathPsych

Here is how you can get them:

ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu  (or, ftp 128.146.8.62)
Name: anonymous
Password: neuron
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> ls
pollack.newraam.ps
pollack.perceptrons.ps
ftp> get
(remote-file) pollack.newraam.ps
(local-file) foo.ps
    261245 bytes sent in 9.9 seconds (26 Kbytes/s)
ftp> get
(remote-file) pollack.perceptrons.ps
(local-file) bar.ps
65413 bytes sent in 3.5 seconds (18 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
unix> lpr *.ps

Please put your own TR's there and announce their
availability to the mailing list. It is certainly more work than just
hitting "R", but probably worth it, all around.  Except, perhaps,
to whomever pays for network bandwidth. We could even eventually
submit journal articles this way...

Jordan