Neural Vision Workshop

Pat Ransil laic!taurus!pat at lll-lcc.llnl.gov
Tue Jun 28 12:47:49 EDT 1988

Please Post and send to others who might be interested.

                  CALL FOR WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION:

                       NEURAL ARCHITECTURES

                        FOR COMPUTER VISION

         AAAI-88, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Saturday, August 20
             To be held in the Radisson St. Paul Hotel

Active research in the use of Artificial Neural Networks for Computer Vision
has led to a proliferation of architectures, with each design focusing on
particular aspects of the problem.  In this full day workshop we will look
at neural approaches to dealing with many of the difficult issues in computer
vision.  The morning session will focus on "low-level vision" where predominantly
bottom-up or data-driven networks must reduce large amounts of data to compact
feature sets which efficiently represent useful information in the original
picture.  In the afternoon, we will examine "high-level" tasks in which networks
combine world and object knowledge with image data to perform object recognition
and scene analysis.

Throughout the workshop we will consider architectural issues such as the choice
of representation and the use of modularity to see how they impact neural vision
systems in areas like computational complexity, training, generalization and
robustness.  Comparing the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches and
encouraging the exchange of ideas between research groups will result in an
exciting workshop which will be of great benefit to all.

All who wish to attend, please send abstracts (four copies) describing your work to:
Patrick Ransil, Lockheed AI Center, 2710 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025.
Include your name, address, and phone number.  Abstracts must be received by
July 10.

Organizing Committee:

    Patrick Ransil, Lockheed AI Center
    Dana Ballard, University of Rochester
    Federico Faggin, Synaptics
    Christof Koch, California Institute of Technology