Faculty Position

Dan Hammerstrom strom at ogcvax.ogc.edu
Sat Aug 27 19:51:20 EDT 1988

                   FACULTY POSITION AVAILABLE:
                  Connectionist/Neural Networks

                   The Oregon Graduate Center

The Computer Science/Engineering Department at the Oregon  Gradu-
ate   Center   seeks   to   hire   faculty   in   the   field  of
Connectionist/Neural Networks.  We are interested in expanding an
already  successful  program in this important area.  Our current
connectionist program is strongly oriented towards VLSI implemen-
tation,  and  we  regularly  fabricate  silicon  to  support  our
research efforts.  In addition to VLSI, we are  also  starting  a
strong  speech  recognition  effort  with  the  arrival  of a new
faculty member, Ron Cole, who just recently joined us from Carne-
gie  Mellon  University.   Our  program  is  well  funded, and we
actively seek additional research talent in the  form  of  either
junior or senior faculty.

The Oregon Graduate Center is a private  institute  for  research
and graduate education (MS and PhD) in the applied sciences.  OGC
gives its faculty unmatched freedom and responsibility in direct-
ing  their  research  programs.   The  typical OGC faculty member
spends 2/3 of his or her time on research.  OGC is in  the  heart
of  Oregon's  Sunset  Corridor, amid such companies as Tektronix,
Intel, Floating Point Systems, Mentor Graphics, Sequent,  Cogent,
National  Semiconductor, Lattice, Fujitsu, Adaptive Systems Inc.,
NCube, Servio Logic, and NEC.  OGC works because it has a  first-
rate  faculty  that is motivated and self-directed.  In addition,
the state of Oregon, in conjunction with OGC other Oregon schools
and local industry, has begun OACIS (the Oregon Advanced Computer
Institute).  This institute  will  eventually  provide  excellent
computing resources for research in parallel applications.

The Department occupies a new building with comfortable  offices,
extensive laboratory space, and built-in computer communications.
Its equipment base  includes  Tektronix,  DEC,  Sun,  and  Mentor
workstations,  high-resolution  color  graphic design stations, a
Sequent Symmetry, a Cogent system, and an Intel iPSC Hypercube.

The Portland environment is as stimulating as that at  OGC:   the
climate is mild, there is easy access to year-round skiing, ocean
beaches, and hiking in mountains and high desert.

    Dan Hammerstrom
    Department of Computer Science/Engineering
    Oregon Graduate Center
    19600 NW von Neumann Dr.
    Beaverton, OR 97007
    (503) 690-1160