Benchmark

Scott.Fahlman@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU Scott.Fahlman at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Wed Aug 10 20:11:45 EDT 1988

Jerry,

Could you specify some particular FSA problem that we could all take a
crack at?  Ideally, people proposing learning-speed (or learning at all)
benchmarks should specify the problem in enough detail that the results of
different learning approaches can be compared.  If you can provide one set
of results as a starting point, that's better still.

I'm not sure if you have in mind a set of problems that can only be
attacked by nets with directed loops, or whether you are directly training
the combinational logic network that combines input with previous state
bits to get new state bits.  In other words, are you (the trainer) telling
the network what states the memory bits are to assume or is that part of
what must be learned?

-- Scott