[CMU AI Seminar] February 27 at 12pm (GHC 6115 & Zoom) -- Xiangxiang Xu (MIT) -- A Geometric Perspective of Feature Learning -- AI Seminar sponsored by SambaNova Systems

Asher Trockman ashert at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 25 17:29:16 EST 2024

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you *this Tuesday (2/27)* from *1**2:00-1:00 PM
(U.S. Eastern time)* for the next talk of this semester's *CMU AI Seminar*,
sponsored by SambaNova Systems <https://sambanova.ai/>. The seminar will be
held in GHC 6115 *with pizza provided *and will be streamed on Zoom.

To learn more about the seminar series or to see the future schedule,
please visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On this Tuesday (2/27), *Xiangxiang Xu* (MIT) will be giving a talk titled
*"**A Geometric Perspective of Feature Learning**"*.

*Title*: A Geometric Perspective of Feature Learning

*Talk Abstract*: In this talk, we present a geometric framework for
learning and processing information with deep neural networks. We introduce
feature geometry, which unifies statistical dependence and feature
representations in a function space. We formulate each learning problem as
solving the optimal feature representation of the associated dependence
component. We will illustrate how this perspective connects distinct
learning problems and provides more adaptable solutions, from
classification/estimation to feature selection/extraction. We also
demonstrate its applications in complicated learning scenarios, including
dealing with constraints and incomplete data, incorporating side
information, and learning the dependence structures of sequential data.

*Speaker Bio:* Xiangxiang Xu received the B.Eng. and Ph.D. degrees in
electronic engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 2014
and 2020, respectively. He is a postdoctoral associate in the Department of
EECS at MIT. His research focuses on information theory and statistical
learning, with applications in understanding and developing learning
algorithms.

*In person: *GHC 6115
*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99510233317?pwd=ZGx4aExNZ1FNaGY4SHI3Qlh0YjNWUT09