[CMU AI Seminar] Special! November 13 at 12pm (GHC 8102 & Zoom) -- Yilun Du (MIT) -- Learning to Generate Compositionally -- AI Seminar sponsored by SambaNova Systems

Asher Trockman ashert at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 10 16:07:30 EST 2023

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you *this Monday (11/13)* from *1**2:00-1:00 PM
(U.S. Eastern time)* for a special installment of this semester's
*CMU AI Seminar*, sponsored by SambaNova Systems <https://sambanova.ai/>.
The seminar will be held in GHC 8102 *with pizza provided *and will be
streamed on Zoom.

*You can sign up to meet with the speaker here.*
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VzF1AQpWf8eclY5k5k9iLniP4mI4Uf7aX2wTuWo41q8/edit?usp=sharing>

To learn more about the seminar series or to see the future schedule,
please visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On this Monday (11/13), *Yilun Du* (MIT) will be giving a talk titled
*"**Learning
to Generate Compositionally**"*.

*Title*: Learning to Generate Compositionally

*Talk Abstract*: Generative AI has led to stunning successes in recent
years but is fundamentally limited by the amount of data available. In this
talk, I’ll introduce the idea of compositional generative modeling, which
can help avoid this issue by building complex generative models from
smaller constituent components. First, I introduce the idea of energy-based
models and illustrate how they enable compositional generative modeling.
I’ll then illustrate how such compositionality can enable effective
generalization, both to complex visual scenes and robotic actions unseen at
training time. Finally, I’ll show how such compositionality can be applied
to existing large “foundation models” to construct intelligent
decision-making agents that can hierarchically plan and reason.

*Speaker Bio: *Yilun Du <https://yilundu.github.io> is a final year PhD
student at MIT EECS advised by Prof. Leslie Kaelbling, Prof. Tomas
Lozano-Perez and Prof. Joshua B. Tenenbaum. Previously, he was a research
fellow at OpenAI, and an intern and visiting researcher at FAIR and Google
DeepMind. His research focuses on generative models, decision making, robot
learning, 3D vision, embodied agents and the applications of such tools to
scientific domains.

*In person: *GHC 8102
*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99510233317?pwd=ZGx4aExNZ1FNaGY4SHI3Qlh0YjNWUT09