[CMU AI Seminar] Special! November 2 at *1pm* (NSH 3305 & Zoom) -- Larry Zitnick (FAIR) -- Modeling Atoms to Address Our Climate Crisis -- AI Seminar sponsored by SambaNova Systems

Asher Trockman ashert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 1 13:06:08 EDT 2023

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you *tomorrow, this Thursday (11/2)* from
*1**:00-2:00
PM (U.S. Eastern time)* for a special installment of this semester's
*CMU AI Seminar*, sponsored by SambaNova Systems <https://sambanova.ai/>.
The seminar will be held in NSH 3305 and will be streamed on Zoom.

To learn more about the seminar series or to see the future schedule,
please visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

Tomorrow (11/2), *Larry Zitnick* (FAIR) will be giving a talk titled
*"**Modeling
Atoms to Address Our Climate Crisis**"*.

*Title*: Modeling Atoms to Address Our Climate Crisis

*Talk Abstract*: Climate change is a societal and political problem whose
impact could be mitigated by technology. Underlying many of its technical
challenges is a surprisingly simple yet challenging problem; modeling the
interaction of atoms. In this talk, we motivate the problem and provide
insights into how this opens up new intriguing directions for machine
learning and AI researchers. Recent large-scale datasets released by the
Open Catalyst Project enable the training of ML models that generalize
across a broad range of the chemical space. Analogies are drawn to computer
vision to map recent state-of-the-art approaches for atomic modeling to a
more familiar domain. We conclude by exploring the numerous open problems
and their potential for wide ranging impact beyond climate change.

*Speaker Bio:* Larry Zitnick is a research director on the Fundamental AI
Research team at Meta. He is currently focused on scientific applications
of AI and machine learning, such as the discovery of new catalysts for
renewable energy applications. Previously, his research in computer vision
covered many areas such as the FastMRI project to speed up the acquisition
of MRIs, and the COCO and VQA datasets to benchmark object detection and
visual language tasks. He developed the PhotoDNA technology used by
industry and various law enforcement agencies to combat illegal imagery on
the web. Before joining FAIR, he was a principal researcher at Microsoft
Research. He received the PhD degree in robotics from Carnegie Mellon
University.

*In person: *NSH 3305
*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99510233317?pwd=ZGx4aExNZ1FNaGY4SHI3Qlh0YjNWUT09