[CMU AI Seminar] April 20 (Today!) at 12pm (GHC 6115 & Zoom) -- Bingbin Liu (CMU) -- Thinking Fast with Transformers: Algorithmic Reasoning via Shortcuts -- AI Seminar sponsored by SambaNova Systems

Asher Trockman ashert at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 20 10:41:50 EDT 2023

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you* today, **this Thursday (4/20)* from
*1**2:00-1:00
PM (U.S. Eastern time)* for the next talk of this semester's
*CMU AI Seminar*, sponsored by SambaNova Systems <https://sambanova.ai/>.
The seminar will be held in GHC 6115 *with pizza provided *and will be
streamed on Zoom.

To learn more about the seminar series or to see the future schedule,
please visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

Today (4/20), *Bingbin Liu* (CMU) will be giving a talk titled *"**Thinking
Fast with Transformers: Algorithmic Reasoning via Shortcuts**".*

*Title*: Thinking Fast with Transformers: Algorithmic Reasoning via
Shortcuts

*Talk Abstract*: Algorithmic reasoning requires capabilities which are most
naturally understood through recurrent models of computation, like the
Turing machine. However, Transformer models, while lacking recurrence, are
able to perform such reasoning using far fewer layers than the number of
reasoning steps. This raises the question: what solutions are these shallow
and non-recurrent models finding? In this talk, we will formalize reasoning
in the setting of automata, and show that the computation of an automaton
on an input sequence of length T can be replicated exactly by Transformers
with o(T) layers, which we call "shortcuts". We provide two constructions,
with O(log T) layers for all automata and O(1) layers for solvable
automata. Empirically, our results from synthetic experiments show that
shallow solutions can also be found in practice.

*Speaker Bio:* Bingbin Liu is a fourth-year PhD student at the Machine
Learning Department of Carnegie Mellon University, co-advised by Pradeep
Ravikumar and Andrej Risteski. Her research focuses on the theoretical
understanding of self-supervised learning and unsupervised learning, often
motivated by findings in vision and language.

*In person: *GHC 6115
*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99510233317?pwd=ZGx4aExNZ1FNaGY4SHI3Qlh0YjNWUT09

Thanks,