[CMU AI Seminar] April 12 at 12pm (Zoom) -- Tom Goldstein (University of Maryland) -- End-to-end algorithm synthesis with "thinking" networks -- AI Seminar sponsored by Morgan Stanley

Asher Trockman ashert at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 8 13:41:03 EDT 2022

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you *next Tuesday (4/12)* from *1**2:00-1:00 PM
(U.S. Eastern time)* for the next talk of our *CMU AI seminar*, sponsored
by Morgan Stanley <https://www.morganstanley.com/about-us/technology/>.

To learn more about the seminar series or see the future schedule, please
visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On 4/12, *Tom Goldstein *(University of Maryland) will be giving a talk
titled *"**End-to-end algorithm synthesis with 'thinking' networks**"*
to survey
adversarial machine learning and to explain his recent work on "thinking
systems".

*Title*: End-to-end algorithm synthesis with "thinking" networks

*Talk Abstract*: This talk will have two parts.  In the first half of the
talk, I'll survey the basics of adversarial machine learning, and discuss
whether adversarial attacks and dataset poisoning can scale up to work on
industrial systems.  I'll also present applications where adversarial
methods provide benefits for domain shift robustness, dataset privacy, and
data augmentation.  In the second half of the talk, I'll present my recent
work on "thinking systems."  These systems use recurrent networks to
emulate a human-like thinking process, in which problems are represented in
memory and then iteratively manipulated and simplified over time until a
solution to a problem is found.  When these models are trained only on
"easy" problem instances, they can then solve "hard" problem instances
without having ever seen one, provided the model is allowed the "think" for
longer at test time.

*Speaker Bio*: Tom Goldstein is the Perotto Associate Professor of Computer
Science at the University of Maryland.  His research lies at the
intersection of machine learning and optimization, and targets applications
in computer vision and signal processing. Before joining the faculty at
Maryland, Tom completed his PhD in Mathematics at UCLA, and was a research
scientist at Rice University and Stanford University. Professor Goldstein
has been the recipient of several awards, including SIAM’s DiPrima Prize, a
DARPA Young Faculty Award, a JP Morgan Faculty award, and a Sloan
Fellowship.

*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99510233317?pwd=ZGx4aExNZ1FNaGY4SHI3Qlh0YjNWUT09

Thanks,