Talk of possible interest: 11am on Friday Mar 4

Nihar Shah nihars at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 28 07:09:21 EST 2022

Dear all,

Wolfgang Kerzendorf <https://wkerzendorf.github.io/#main>, who works in
astrophysics and machine learning, is giving a remote talk in my group
meeting at 11am on Friday March 4 (details of the talk below). I thought
this talk may be of interest to some of you, and if so, you are welcome to
join.
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/99367371591?pwd=SU1jNDZKbU03THJkeEpWVWJtZGV5dz09
(sign in to zoom with a CMU/Andrew account to join)

Title: Distributed peer review enhanced with machine learning

Abstract: Many aspects of modern peer review have not changed from its
inception in the 18th century despite drastic changes in the scientific
community. Specifically, contrarily to the early days of peer review, it
has become a significant challenge to identify experts that can effectively
review the more and more specialized fields of science. The problem is
exacerbated by the ever-rising number of researchers (having grown by 15%
between 2014 and 2018 according to a UNESCO report) also seen through the
staggering increase of publications and proposals (doubling every 14 years
in astronomy) Some say that peer review has not adequately innovated as
technology has advanced and the dissemination of publications has surged,
creating a space for stagnant and biased reviews. We have developed and
deployed a novel form of peer review in which the proposers become
reviewers themselves known as distributed peer review. We enhanced this
process using natural language processing and AI technologies to find an
optimal match between the pool of proposals and the reviewers. In this
talk, I will present this potential solution that was trialed at ESO and is
about to go into full use. I will discuss potential other applications of
AI in the field of peer review. I will close with an outlook of current and
future experiments in peer review.

Best,
Nihar