[CMU AI Seminar] May 04 at 12pm (Zoom) -- Raquel Urtasun (U of Toronto) -- Next Generation Simulation for Self-driving Vehicles -- AI Seminar sponsored by Fortive

Shaojie Bai shaojieb at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 29 12:30:49 EDT 2021

Dear all,

We look forward to seeing you *next Tuesday (5/4)* from *1**2:00-1:00 PM
(U.S. Eastern time)* for the next talk of our *CMU AI seminar*, sponsored
by Fortive <https://careers.fortive.com/>.

To learn more about the seminar series or see the future schedule, please
visit the seminar website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>

On 4/27, *Raquel Urtasun* (University of Toronto) will be giving a
talk on "*Next
Generation Simulation for Self-driving Vehicles*".

*Title*: Next Generation Simulation for Self-driving Vehicles

*Talk Abstract*: We are on the verge of a new era in which robotics and
artificial intelligence will play an important role in our daily lives.
Self-driving vehicles have the potential to redefine transportation as we
understand it today. Our roads will become safer and less congested, while
parking spots will be repurposed as leisure zones and parks. However, many
technological challenges remain as we pursue this future. In this talk I
will focus on simulation, which is key for both testing and training modern
autonomy systems.

*Speaker Bio*: Raquel Urtasun is a Professor in the Department of Computer
Science at the University of Toronto, a Canada Research Chair in Machine
Learning and Computer Vision and a co-founder of the Vector Institute for
AI. Prior to this she was the Chief Scientist of Uber ATG and the Head of
Uber ATG R&D. She received her Ph.D. from the Ecole Polytechnique Federal
de Lausanne (EPFL) in 2006 and did her postdoc at MIT and UC Berkeley. She
is a recipient of an NSERC EWR Steacie Award, an NVIDIA Pioneers of AI
Award, a Ministry of Education and Innovation Early Researcher Award, three
Google Faculty Research Awards, an Amazon Faculty Research Award, a
Connaught New Researcher Award, a Fallona Family Research Award and two
Best Paper Runner up Prize awarded CVPR in 2013 and 2017. She was also
named Chatelaine 2018 Woman of the year, and 2018 Toronto's top influencers
by Adweek magazine.

*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/96036411310?pwd=M0tqYW1NamE5Z1hWeWpxUGVBWTZGZz09

Thanks,