[AI Seminar] Online AI Seminar on Dec 01 (Zoom) -- Jia Deng-- Optimization Inspired Deep Architectures for Multiview 3D -- AI seminar is sponsored by Fortive

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 25 13:46:18 EST 2020

Jia Deng (Princeton) will be giving an online seminar on "Optimization
Inspired Deep Architectures for Multiview 3D" from 12:00 noon - 01:00 PM
ET on Dec 01.

*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94237215126?pwd=VWRLb05tM1p1UU1zV3lvZHN2WE5XQT09

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title*: Optimization Inspired Deep Architectures for Multiview 3D

*Abstract*: Multiview 3D has traditionally been approached as continuous
optimization: the solution is produced by an algorithm that solves an
optimization problem over continuous variables (camera pose, 3D points,
motion) to maximize the satisfaction of known constraints from multiview
geometry. In contrast, deep learning offers an alternative strategy where
the solution is produced by a general-purpose network with learned weights.
In this talk, I will present some recent work using a hybrid approach that
takes the best of both worlds. In particular, I will present several new
deep architectures inspired by classical optimization-based algorithms.
These architectures have substantially improved the state of the art of a
range of tasks including optical flow, scene flow, and depth estimation. As
an aside, I will also discuss how to perform numerically stable
backpropagation on 3D transformation groups, needed for end-to-end training
of such architectures.

*Bio*: Jia Deng is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Princeton
University. His research focus is on computer vision and machine learning.
He received his Ph.D. from Princeton University and his B.Eng. from
Tsinghua University, both in computer science. He has received a number of
awards including the Sloan Research Fellowship, the NSF CAREER award, the
ONR Young Investigator award, an ICCV Marr Prize, and two ECCV Best Paper
Awards.

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/