[AI Seminar] Online AI Seminar on Oct 20 (Zoom) -- Tali Dekel -- Learning to Retime People in Videos -- AI seminar is sponsored by Fortive

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 14 10:32:39 EDT 2020

Tali Dekel (Google/Weizmann Institute) will be giving an online
seminar on "Learning
to Retime People in Videos" from 12:00 noon - 01:00 PM ET on Oct 20.

*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/98676579132?pwd=QldaWFlVLzdseS9IWE5JdkJKWDBWQT09

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title: *Learning to Retime People in Videos

*Abstract: *By changing the speed of frames, or the speed of objects, we
can enhance the way we perceive events or actions in videos. In this talk,
I will present two of my recent works on retiming videos, and more
specifically, manipulating the timings of people’s actions. 1) “SpeedNet”
(CVPR 2020 oral): a method for adaptively speeding up videos based on their
content, allowing us to gracefully watch videos faster while avoiding jerky
and unnatural motions.  2) “Layered Neural Rendering for Retiming People”
(SIGGRAPH Asia):  a method for speeding up, slowing down, or entirely
freezing certain people in videos, while automatically re-rendering
properly all the scene elements that are related to those people, like
shadows, reflections, and loose clothing. Both methods are based on novel
deep neural networks that learn concepts of natural motion and scene
decomposition just by observing ordinary videos, without requiring any
manual labels.  I’ll show adaptively sped-up videos of sports, of boring
family events (that all of us want to watch faster), and I’ll demonstrate
various retiming effects of people dancing, groups running, and kids
jumping on trampolines.

*Bio*: Tali Dekel is a Senior Research Scientist at Google, Cambridge MA,
developing algorithms at the intersection of computer vision, computer
graphics,  and machine learning. She also just joined the Mathematics and
Computer Science Department at the Weizmann Institute, Israel, as a faculty
member (Assistant Professor). Before Google, she was a Postdoctoral
Associate at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL)
at MIT. Tali completed her Ph.D. studies at the school of electrical
engineering, Tel-Aviv University, Israel. Her research interests include
computational photography, image/video synthesis, geometry and 3D
reconstruction. Her awards and honors include the National Postdoctoral
Award for Advancing Women in Science (2014), the Rothschild Postdoctoral
Fellowship (2015), the SAMSON - Prime Minster's Researcher Recruitment
Prize (2019), Best Paper Honorable Mention in CVPR 2019, and Best Paper
Award (Marr Prize) in ICCV 2019. She served as the workshop co-chair for
CVPR 2020.

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/