[AI Seminar] Online AI Seminar on Sep 15 (Zoom) -- Moshe Bar -- Overarching States of Mind -- AI seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 8 13:21:14 EDT 2020

Moshe Bar (Bar-Ilan University) will be giving an online seminar on
"Overarching
States of Mind" from *12:00 - 01:00 PM* on Sep 15.

*Zoom Link*:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/97696348550?pwd=cWdiSUZST2wyd0lza3QxQllNY2d3UT09

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title: *Overarching States of Mind

*Abstract: *Implicitly, we think of our brain and mind as fixed: always
with the same inclinations, biases, strengths, and weaknesses. But the
human mind is dynamic and seamlessly changing between different states
depending on circumstances. We propose that these states of mind are
holistic in that they exert all-encompassing and coordinated effects
simultaneously on our perception, cognition, thought, affect, and action.
Given the apparent breadth of their reach, being able to explain how states
of mind operate is essential. We provide a framework for the concept of
states of mind (SoM). From this framework, we derive several unique
hypotheses and propose an underlying mechanism whereby SoM is determined by
the balance between top-down and bottom-up cortical processing. This novel
framework opens new directions for understanding the human mind and bears
widespread implications for mental health.

*Bio*: Moshe Bar is a neuroscientist, director of the Gonda
Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center at Bar-Ilan University. He is the
head of the Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory at the Gonda
Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center. Prof. Bar assumed the position of
the Gonda Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center director following 17
years in the US, where he had served as an associate professor at Harvard
University and Massachusetts General Hospital and had led the Cognitive
Neuroscience Laboratory at the Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical
Imaging.

Prof. Bar has made significant contributions to the field of cognition;
ideas and findings that have challenged dominant paradigms in areas of
exceptional diversity: from the flow of information in the cortex during
visual recognition to the importance of mental simulations for planning and
foresight in the brain, and from the effect of form on aesthetic
preferences to a clinical theory on mood and depression. Prof. Bar uses
methods from cognitive psychology, psychophysics, human brain imaging,
computational neuroscience, and psychiatry to explore predictions and
contextual processing in the brain, and their role in facilitating visual
recognition.

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/